Saturday, September 17, 2016

Let's evaluate the current state of ETC1/2 compression libraries

For regular block encoders (not RDO or crunch-style systems), I think what I need to do is to plot this like I would a lossless Pareto Frontier, with the Y axis being some measure of quality and the X axis being encoding speed across a wide range of test textures. Perhaps I can normalize the quality metric achieved by each encoder at its various settings vs. the highest achievable quality, for each image.

As far as I can tell so far, nobody's beating the quality/performance of etcpak, at its performance point. It's going to be fascinating to compare etcpak vs. ETC2Comp. Let's see how these two compare for pure ETC1 encoding, which is available across a huge range of devices. I'll compare against crnlib's ETC1 block encoder in multithreading mode, which was released before either etcpak or ETC2Comp.

No comments:

Post a Comment