BonusXP (makers of Monster Crew and Cave Mania, a growing indie game developer near Dallas in Allen, TX) used feedback from everyone at the studio to decide how their new office would be arranged. They decided on a hybrid mix of a low-density open plan surrounded by normal offices, with some key desk additions to cut down on visual distractions and give devs a better sense of control over their environment.
They also have a pretty sweet optional work from home on Friday policy.
Key things about this space that I see:
- Tidy: no rats nests, shabby furniture, or giant collections of 2000 nerf guns and action figures.
- Opaque glass dividers on each desk.
- Small offices with windows surrounding the open office area.
- Real desks with actual storage space.
- Low density and lots of space around each mini "pod" of desks.
- Blue color theme, which triggers a relaxing response.