Just a small update. We've put like 99% of our effort into ETC1 and ETC1+DXT1 over the previous 5-6 months. Our ETC1 encoder supports RDO and an intermediate format, and has shipped on OSX/Linux/Windows. I've been modifying the ETC1 encoder to also support DXT1 (for our universal format) over the previous few weeks.
Our ETC1 encoder was written almost from scratch. The next major step is to roll back all the improvements and things I've learned while implementing our ETC1 encoder back into our DXT-specific encoder. crunch's support for DXT has a bunch of deficiencies which hurt ratio. (Roy Eltham and Fabian Giesen have recently pointed this issue out to me. I've actually been aware of inefficiencies in crunch's codebook generator for a few months, since working on the new codebook generator for ETC1.) I'm definitely fixing this problem (and others!) in Basis.